Costa Rica is one of the tropical paradises that are both beckoning and seemingly unreal. The ecosystem here is so diverse that even the most sophisticated and demanding traveler cannot but marvel. There are beautiful sandy beaches, and rainforests, and waterfalls, let along rivers and lakes, and all the various wildlife can not leave indifferent. The country has also the benefit of being washed by both the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans and is considered having one of the most favorable climates. Moreover, it is democratic, politically stable and very hospitable either when it comes to the coming tourists or any kind of investments. That is why real estate prospects are quite promising here and those who contemplate on this option will not be disappointed.
Another reason of Costa Rica’s popularity in the framework of property investments is that the places that have recently been in vogue are becoming too expensive for average Americans now and few can afford California, Florida or Hawaii. Costa Rica, on the contrary, is able to offer easily affordable properties at reasonable prices with a lot of other benefits. And, of course, beaches are the first and the most popular attraction. There are a lot of prospective buyers or investors willing to put the money into coastal area projects.
The Pacific and the Atlantic parts of Costa Rica are different and this should be taken into consideration by the prospective investor or buyer.
• The opening of the International Airport in Liberia led to the boom of property on the Pacific coast. The airport is situated about an hour-drive from the coast and therefore allows to reach your destination in the province of Guanacaste in no time. This region is considered the quickest in growing and the beaches here are without a doubt are the most popular. It is called the "Gold Coast" and real estate investment is booming here. There are a lot of projects in the stage of development and presale investment packages as well. Playas Panama, Hermosa, Ocotal, Portrero, CoCo,Flamingo, Conchal, Grande, Brasilito, Tamarindo, Langosta and Junquillal are receiving and ready to welcome both tourists and investors.
• The Atlantic coast, or the Caribbean, is considered less accessible when it comes to the beaches and therefore more authentic. The main city of the region is Limon, which is also a port. The southern Caribbean coastal landscape comprises Cahuita, Puerto Viejo and the smaller villages. The places have potential beaches but they haven’t been much developed so far because of the difficulties connected with their access. And in general, the region is much less developed than the Pacific one and is not that popular among the Americans who prefer always sunny beaches to the Caribbean flavor.
• The southern Nicoya Peninsula is also a popular destination and the coast here is accessible by any transport. Playa Tambor, Montezuma and Mal Pais in this region are, though, more remote, but not deprived of certain appeal. The benefits of these beach towns have not gone unnoticed and therefore the property prices here have grown tree times recently.
• The region of the Pacific coast, inland from the Bay of Nicoya, is famous by its proximity to San Jose and therefore contains the most popular and beautiful beach properties in the country. The closest beach to the capital is Playa Jaco and, consequently, it is the most developed and properties here are quite pricy.
• The extreme southern Pacific region at present experiences the development of beach areas and Playa Esterillos, Palo Seco, Quepos are quite popular, let along Manuel Antonio with its national park and wildlife refuge.
Still, there are several other aspects that a prospective investor or buyer should take into consideration after the most appealing region is chosen. Though, Costa Rica sceneries are breathtaking for the most part, the views that are in demand most are the ones with the ocean, obviously. In the majority of cases the peculiarities of the coast and its (in many cases) undeveloped state make the ocean view property the one taken first and the one that is most valued. The thing is that the property on the beach will not guarantee the view of the ocean, unless you are not directly on the beachfront; while the places located higher and able to provide views feel the lack of infrastructure and facilities. Therefore, when it comes to ocean views, Costa Rica is the same as anywhere else – if you want a place with a view you will have to pay more.
There is another thing to remember for those who want to buy property on the beach. The prospective buyers or investors should keep in mind that coastal properties comply with other rules than the rest of the real estate in Costa Rica. There exists the Maritime Zone that represents a 200 meter-above-high-tide mark along Costa Rica's coastlines. The law establishes that the first 50 meters are public forever and are overseen by the government. The land within this range is neither sold nor leased, in other words, there are no private beaches in this zone. What concerns the remaining 150 meters, they go under the name of Concessions Property and are allowed to be leased from the Municipality for the period of 5-20 years. It is presupposed that the government represents your semi-partner and is entitled to control all your activities on this property. Non-resident foreigners have only a right for 49 percent ownership of their leased beach properties. This law covers about 95% of Costa Rica's coastal properties; still there is a minor 5% that do not comply with this rule. These lands and property are fully titled and not considered concession property, and consequently are in complete possession of their owners. These lands date back to the time of Spanish land grants and therefore are most appreciated, looked after and expensive.
It is high time to think about Costa Rica now, if you are planning either investment in property, or retirement, or just moving to some more favorable place. Beaches from Panama to Nicaraguan borders are awaiting investors. There are projects available to any taste and budget. Costa Rica beach real estate market is nowadays considered the most perspective and is showing the tendency to stay so for the next decade. Do not miss your chance as you have a great opportunity to get a place of your own in this fantastic paradise.